Market Like A Real Estate Agent
Highlight your uniqueness
Real estate agents are a unique beast when it comes to how they market themselves. They leverage branding in ways from which I think we can all learn, including focusing on:
- Becoming Memorable
- Establishing Credibility
As recommended by Forbes, “Work your quirks”!
“We notice things that are different, unique, out of the ordinary. You may not remember every sandwich you have eaten for lunch, but you likely remember the one that was made with unique ingredients or served in a clever way.”
“If you try to blend in, you will – and you’ll be lot less memorable. Yet, we often think conformity is the key to success. Not true. Differentiation is. Have the courage to own what makes you unique and demonstrate it regularly. Whatever you do, don’t pretend. Insincere or inauthentic people may be memorable, but not in a good way!”
This becomes part of your Personal Branding strategy.
What is Personal Branding?
As I mentioned in my article “Getting Your Face Out There – A Guide To Personal Branding” I referenced the following definition of personal branding as defined by Influencer Marketing Hub:
“Your personal brand is how you promote yourself. It is the unique combination of skills, experience, and personality that you want the world to see about you. It is the telling of your story, and how it reflects your conduct, behaviour, spoken and unspoken words, and attitudes.
You use your personal branding to differentiate yourself from other people. Done well, you can tie your personal branding in with your business in ways no corporate branding can possibly succeed.”
I love this definition as it highlights the importance of promoting what makes you unique (and memorable).. In marketing, this is called a Unique Selling Proposition (USP), and more often than not, it’s these unique USP that make a customer want to work with you. And good real estate agents do this very well.
What is Credibility
“A measure of how believable and trustworthy your marketing is perceived to be. You can communicate credibility by including… badges, ratings, reviews and testimonials…” – Unbounce
Decent real estate agents do this well and do it often. They’re effectively helping their prospective customers feel familiar with them through the way they market themselves.
“All things being equal, people will do business with, and refer business to, those people they know, like, and trust.” – Bob Burgauthor, Endless Referrals.
7 Other Real Estate Marketing Ideas You Can “Borrow”
Other than the obvious, invest in a great website and be active on social media, here’s 7 other marketing ideas that real estate agents use that you can leverage for your own business.
Sources: Bricksandagent + Hubspot
- Work On Your Online Presence| An effective online profile on your website and social media pages helps attract future business by letting people get to know you. PLUS it gives previous happy customers somewhere to direct referrals to..
- Email Marketing | Email marketing is still considered one of the easiest and most cost effective ways to stay in touch with past clients and prospects, and to generate valuable leads. When you focus on helping your clients instead of selling to them, it further builds your relationship and develops trust.
- Professional photos/staging | If your services/products are unique, then your own photos will always be more appropriate, otherwise, we highly recommend using professional stock photos to ensure your marketing is as visually appealing as possible. We include several Copyright free stock images with every new website design or redesign that we build to ensure we make our clients look as good as possible.
- Leveraging Social Media | Love it or hate it, it’s likely that your audience lives on one or more of the popular social media channels. Instagram and Facebook are ideal for low to mid cost Business to Consumer (B2C) services and retail products whereas LinkedIn often proves its worth for more bespoke Business To Business (B2B) offerings. Aim for consistency as you grow your audiences.
- Virtual Walkthroughs | Not too dissimilar to how real estate agents take you on a virtual tour of a house, is there a part of your business that you can offer your customers something similar? Whether it be a series of before or after photos, a video of you on site or recording your online offering like a course or platform.
- Ask For Referrals | According to Hubspot, “…41% of sellers using a real estate agent found that agent through a referral from friends or family”.
Imagine if you could leverage similar statistics in your field! Something like a followup email a week or a month after you’ve done business together or a referral section on your website is a great place to start.
- Collect and Display Testimonials | In addition to asking for referrals, real estate professionals are also great at asking for reviews. The more 5-star reviews you have establishes credibility and positions you as a pro in your industry. Check out my blog, Webinar Replay | How To Encourage + Leverage Customer Reviews for a step by step process.
Ready To Market Like A Real Estate Agent?
By focusing on Becoming Memorable and Establishing Credibility through working your quirks, you’ll quickly stand out from the crowd. Borrowing marketing ideas from real estate agents (and any industry for that matter) can help you become more creative in this pursuit of your individual expression.
Need help identifying what makes you different, or just not sure how to highlight your je ne sais quoi? We believe EVERY business has something unique to offer – let us help you unlock what it means for you. Register today for a free consultation.