Welcome to Part 4 in our 5 Part Effective Email Series.
When it comes to email marketing – knowing how to do the basics well – is critical to producing WIN-WIN outcomes. If you haven’t got the run-down on the basics outlined in our previous Parts, you’ll find a link at the bottom of this article.
While many people’s inboxes continue to be assaulted with a deluge of mail, email marketing research reveals that a whopping 86% of consumers would like to receive promotional emails from companies they do business with at least monthly… (Statista, 2015)
Before we list our 5 Hottest Email Marketing Tips, here’s a snapshot of some earlier and related “must do’s”:
- Sell the email in the subject line | it’s a test and measure approach, but if the subject line doesn’t make people go ‘OMG, I HAVE TO read this email’, it’s likely they won’t.
- Mind your language | tone down the corporate, while keeping it professional, friendly and respectful. It’s always important to build and maintain rapport and trust.
- Reveal Thyself | make sure it’s clear and easy for recipients to know who they’re receiving the message from. Branding, sign-offs and design all play a part in this.
And, here’s The Web-Sta Team’s 5 HOTTEST EMAIL MARKETING TIPS
Tip #1 – Do some Email Marketing!
It might sound obvious, but on average less than 10% of businesses do any email marketing.
You don’t have to start with a regular newsletter, perhaps something each quarter to get into the swing of things. Here’s some examples:
Easter Specials | Hop around our online store and check out our Easter Specials
EOFY | End of Financial Year checklist, or Did you Know your Website is considered an asset and therefore tax deductible?
Happy Holidays | Best wishes for the festive season
Happy New Year | Top 5 Business Resolutions for 2018
Customers like to know you’re thinking about them and sending them an electronic letter is a great way to show some love.
Tip 2 – Build Up Your Own List
We are sometimes led to believe that more email addresses means more clicks, opens, and sales — after all it’s a numbers game, right? Well, not always.
While it might be tempting to build your database quickly by sourcing or purchasing a list of email addresses, sending unexpected emails to recipients who have not opted in (or maybe have never even heard of your business) is the quickest way to get onto blacklists and doomed to the spam folder for eternity.
Building subscriber lists the right way guarantees better engagement.
Tip 3 – Design
A study conducted by Return Path found that 63% of Americans and 41% of Europeans would either close or delete an email they couldn’t read on their mobile – we’re pretty sure Australian’s would respond similarly.
Whether you’re using a template or hiring a designer like Web-Sta, it’s important to keep in mind that your email needs to not only fit your brand, but display well on multiple devices.
When your recipients open your messages, you also want them to immediately know who it came from.
And, it’s imperative customers are able to click through from an email to a website in a smooth, efficient manner.
Tip 4 – Keep the Content Scannable & Snappy
Schedules are full, people are busy, and if it’s not informative or entertaining, attentions spans wane. Emails need to be scannable by using sub headings, short paragraphs, and dot points.
Emails can always link off to a website if we need to go into more detail.
Also, while pictures are pretty it’s important not to go overboard as some email programs can remove images, or it can cause the email to take too long to load.
Tip 5 – Include a CTA – Call To Action
After coming up with a compelling enough subject line that gets readers to open the email, the next goal it to get them to click on the content.
Therefore, the content needs to be designed around the action we’re inviting our readers to take.
Other CTA tips include:
1. make it prominent – not too big that it overshadows, and not too small that it gets lost
2. consider (tactful) multiple placements to draw the eye of the reader
3. Be clear and concise with the ask – options can be relevant, but don’t ask for too much in one go
4. Test what resonates best with your audience and don’t be afraid to take some risks
Three Ways To Improve Your Email Marketing Campaigns Today
1. Turn your BLOGS into an automated NEWSLETTER // Click here to Learn More…
2. Engage a WEB-STA BLOG WRITER to write your blogs FOR YOU // Click here to Learn More…
3. Ensure your NEWSLETTER DESIGNS are MOBILE FRIENDLY // Click here to Learn More…
Have a query, or looking for further clarification on any of these points? — We’d be happy to expand, just leave us a comment below.